Find a Job
Do you understand the strategies to find a job? Are you ready? You are going to need an updated resume, a winning cover letter, and in some situations a portfolio of samples of work. You will also need to know how to use your contacts to tap into that hidden job market. This section will provide you with information and activities to really make you stand out and be organized in your job search.
- How to get started and get help.
- About the hiring process.
- How to market yourself.
- About connecting with people online and building your network.
- How to research employers and find job openings.
- How to fill out job applications.
- How to write resumes and cover letters.
- How to prepare for an interview.
- How to negotiate job offers.
Finding and getting a job relies on your ability to get an employer’s attention. Employers expect you to know job search strategies and how to represent yourself. To be successful you need to be clear about what you want to do, know what your skills are, and know your job search target.
You can use the Job Search Target (pdf) to write down the occupations you are interested and qualified to do, the industries you are interested in, and any employers that you are interested in working for.
Track the activities you do for your job search. Use the Organizational Tools (pdf) to keep you organized.
Use the Job Search Checklist (pdf) to keep track of each step.